Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Poor the Cat


So last Wednesday I called the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to make an appointment to get some of Aeris' paper work done so that she can go to Germany with us. The man at the agency told me that a vet had to come from Vancouver to sign and stamp the official papers and it just so happened that he was supposed to come the next day. So, very fortunately, I got an appointment right away but I was told to give them a call in the morning to make sure that the vet was actually there because it seemed to happen very often that he could not make it. So when I called the next morning to confirm the vet was indeed there and everything was going fine. After that, to her dismay, Aeris was put in her carrier. This is much easier with two or more people since Aeris does not exactly agree with the "put you in box and carry you around" concept or even the concept of leaving the apartment. But after some forceful convincing Aeris was ready for the trip, during which she meowed most of the way but was very brave.

When I got to the CFIA, there was a woman there who was doing the same thing I was and bringing her pets to Denmark, but Aeris was the only pet there. She left and five minutes later the vet asked me how he could help me. I gave him the paperwork. He looked at it, stamped and signed it where appropriate. Another man made photocopies and asked me how I wanted to pay. At this point no one has yet even come close to the cat except for me. I was sure that during conversation the day before he had conveyed to me that I had to bring the cat. So I asked them if I had to and in view of the overwhelming evidence, realized that I probably didn't have to bring the cat at all and that he had never said that at all. He answered “No”. I thanked him and left. The Cat forgave me in no time thought, and was sitting on my lap not long after we got home.

Poor the Cat.

2 comments:

Ru said...

indeed! poor the cat! at first, in that photo, i thought she was licking the arm of the chair. but she is licking your leg, isn't she? cats are so weird!

Julia said...

She's fully licking his leg, which is why he took the picture in the first place. Usually she's quite anal about never stepping on bare skin, only on clothed areas. She used to sit on bare skin as a kitten, and I think my roommates and I inadvertently trained her out of the habit by tossing her off whenever her uncontrolled kitten claws came out. He took the fact that she'd even sit on his bare leg as proof that she was missing me and deprived of human affection. I think it's just more proof that she loves him more.