Sunday, May 06, 2007

Jeremi comes today!!!

I'm writing this from Frankfurt, and in a few mere HOURS I'll be heading to the airport to pick him up. Yesterday morning I picked up the rental car in Jena, and, as is often the case in Canada, they didn't have the exact car that I ordered, so I got one size bigger. So instead of a medium-sized Opel, I have a huge Mercedes, I think some sort of B class maybe? I should probably check the model name, but anyhow it's a huge 7-speed Mercedes and I was driving at something like 160 km/h on the Autobahn and getting passed like I was standing still. I'm certainly not in Canada any more. Despite the breakneck speeds, I did manage to snap a picture of the lovely fields of rapeseed/canola. I wish I hadn't gotten the sign in there, but this way you know that I was near Magdala at the time. The car also let me make a last-minute trip to IKEA to pick up a couple last things, and I even stopped at another furniture store to get a cheap table and chairs for the balcony. I didn't have time to assemble anything as I was stuck in traffic on the way back for over an hour, but we can do it together now.

And now just a couple more random notes as my last without-Jeremi posting. For one thing, today I'm wearing my first hand-spun hand-knit top, which I finally got around to finishing and blocking so I could wear it to pick him up. Here it is being blocked on my mattress. I'm really usually lazy with blocking, even though I know it makes a world of difference, but it was definitely the only way that I was getting those little lace corners to lie down. The fibre is beautiful, a merino and tencel blend. (Tencel is a rayon-like cellulose-based fibre, which has a nice sheen and drape a bit like silk, but much cheaper.) It's the same sort of fibre as the scarf I made for my mom, but with a darker colour.

And now I'm enjoying the day with Jenny and Janka. They're both sleeping on the couch while I write this, actually. Last night I arrived to a lovely asparagus-themed meal, with a cream of asparagus soup with vanilla, pork shish kebabs, asparagus with a sabayon sauce, and new potatoes. Very spring-like. And for dessert there was a lovely semolina mousse-like thing with strawberries. Delicious. (And Jenny and I had the leftover dessert as breakfast dessert today, which was also lovely.) They're waking up now, so I should be off, but here's a picture in closing.

5 comments:

M said...

Oh my goodness, your top is gorgeous. Just gorgeous. You truly are a knitting goddess. And I hope that you and Jérémi and Aeris have a great reunion today.

Anonymous said...

Hi from NB

I just love all the info. Allows us to see across the miles. Your place is great. We are happy to know you are both together again. Love,
Maman B-Ann

Anonymous said...

Julia and Jer - I hope you both had a great reunion. That bed does not look like a lot of fun to sleep on - no wonder the Swedes have such a high level of suicide!!! Ikea is great for some things but my God the sleeping leaves a lot to be desired. It certainly explains Ingmar Berman films! Stick to the kitchen stuff and the lingon berry sauce!!! Your sweater is exquisite and I will block from now on, having seen the joys of blocking, tho I hate it with a passion - even more than sewing up the pieces!

What is your phone number now? Do you have one? You must have thighs of steel with all that biking. No wonder german men like their women big and strong.

I do like the poster for the kitchen. I wish I had one when I was married to Paul. Please get one for me and give it to Joy to bring back when she comes in the fall. I want to mail it to him anonymously - not that I am bitter or anything like that. Perish the thought.

Send your phone number, OK?

Love, Glory

Anonymous said...

One more thing, Julia. Do not mess with the flaps on the bottom of your sofa. They keep the dust bunnies in check. Take away the flaps and the little buggers run wild all over your apartment. Take it from a pro - keep the flaps and the bunnies stay in line. You have to give them boundaries, like children.

Anonymous said...

I just checked the blog and nothing since that road sign and great yellow flower pic.
No Aeris? No Jer in Germany photos? I know he's there because I saw him on Skype. And I saw the cat on the infamous chair that got bounced up the stairs.
For those of us who check regularly, we could use an update :)
Mom and Joy