Sunday, June 24, 2007

The cat's big adventure

Friday afternoon there was a party at the Beutenberg campus, where my institute is located. I only got the email about it a few hours before, but Jeremi had to come in to sign a couple of forms so they could be faxed off anyhow, so I suggested that he come and have some beer and bratwurst (which is what's found at each and every party around these parts). I wasn't sure if I was going to go, as I had a lot of work I wanted to do, and I had a German class from 2:30-3:30, ad the party started at 2:00. And so I sent Jeremi off to the party with Calin and Susanne and I headed off to class.

After the class I stopped by the party for a quick beer, and then another, and to enjoy the Blues-Brothers-esque band (called the Gangsters of Paradise) until the rain started, and then I concluded that I wasn't working any more that night. Calin and Susanne were thinking that only two beers was no place to end the evening, so we decided that they should come to our place for supper and a few more drinks.

We made some korean food for them for supper, including an incredibly expensive jar of kimchee that we were able to find here, which really didn't taste right at all, as it was pasteurized. Still, we managed to make half-decent kimbop and mung bean pancakes (don't remember the name).

And then we started playing cards, which then evolved into drinking games. Around 2:30 or so Calin decided to call it a night, but Susanne and Jeremi and I were still going strong. Around 3:00 we realized that we hadn't seen the cat for a while, and then we started looking for her, but she wasn't coming when we called and we weren't able to find her anywhere. While I was checking the balcony for the second or third time I looked down to the street below, just on a whim, and saw the cat pacing back and forth in front of the building.

We're still not sure whether she fell or she jumped, but somehow the cat ended up something like 5 m lower from where she started, and none too pleased. Of course she wasn't hurt, but she was a bit stressed. And so a drunken Jeremi and Susanne and Julia ran down the stairs to get her. She came right inside, and I wanted to carry her back up, but Jeremi thought that she should walk so she knew where she lived. And so of course she ran into the cellar and into one of the storage spaces. Eventually we caught her, and I carried her upstairs.

She was fine after all this, pacing around a bit, but seemingly not too concerned, and she (so far) hasn't decided to make a habit of this. I'm just glad that she had the sense to stay close to the building, and that she didn't decide to tour the neighbourhood. Ah, the cat.

And since we don't actually have any pictures of this incident, I'll throw in a random picture from sometime last week. You can never have too many pictures of the cat, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think in this shot, it definitely looks like she's plotting her escape. I can tell when she's planning something...
marmy