Monday, March 23, 2009

How to vote from bed

Although we're living abroad, we're still allowed to vote in Canadian elections (at least for the first five years that we're not residing in Canada). Since there was a national election back in October, I faxed away our applications for absentee ballots, which arrived about a week later in the mail. And so on October 5th, I was able to vote from bed for the first time ever.

Here I am, excitedly opening my voting packet.
Inside was a ballot, along with many different sizes of envelope, and detailed instructions as to how I should go about it.
The first step was writing in the full name of the candidate for whom I was voting. Because they use one ballot for all expats, it's not pre-printed with the candidates in your riding, so it's a bit more complicated than the usual "X" Canadians are used to. I was voting for the riding of Victoria, as it was the last place that I'd lived in Canada, while Jeremi was voting for Beauséjour in New Brunswick, as he was living there with his parents last summer. (I'm hiding it because it's a secret ballot.)
After this, the ballot when into the smallest envelope.
This envelope then went into a bigger envelope...

...which finally went into a still larger envelope which could be mailed to Canada.
Seal it all up...
...and I was done! No waiting in line (except to mail it later), and I didn't even have to get out of bed (though I was wearing one of the rather patriotic shirts that Jer's parents sent us shortly after we moved here for the occasion). All in all, it was quite easy. How I love elections, even when they don't turn out they way I'd like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missyoumissyoumissyou!!!!

Marie :)

Brandy said...

That rocks! and the quilt looks amazing in use ; )