Tuesday, April 04, 2006

How does my garden grow...


Over the past few weeks we've been getting very excited about starting a vegetable garden. Initially we wanted to have a container garden on our balcony and back stairwell, but then I (Julia) went a little nuts buying seeds, so it seemed that we'd have to expand a bit further. We talked to the landlord's son, who looks after the property and lives downstairs, and he's agreed to let us use a patch of the backyard in addition to a variety of containers. Now I'm thinking of asking for a patch in the front yard as well for the herbs, but at least we'll have some ground to work with.

Here's a picture of our spare room, where the bed has been turned into the seeding ground to get things going. We're limited to the spare room as they have to be kept safe from the cat until they're a bit bigger and can survive having a few leaves eaten. I learnt this the hard way when I was growing plants in Montreal - she waited until they were all sprouted and about 3 cm tall, and then she finished them all off in one night. And then of course she threw them all up. I'm not letting her or the other neighbourhood cats near them until I think they've got some chance of survival. And of course I'm growing some catnip to distract them.

No comments: