Friday, March 12, 2010

Other random cuteness, from months 5 and 6


Some more pictures since we're back in Germany, that didn't quite fit into any of the other categories. Yet another ridiculous position that Béla fell asleep in as Jer walked him around the apartment singing. (J'entends le moulin, tick-i-tick-i-tack-a... and repeat)
Here he is after being unloaded from the Ergo carrier after his first try in the back-carry position. As you can see, he clearly loved it. I love when he falls asleep in the carrier (usually on the front) and I manage to get him off and into a bed while still sleeping in the full spread-eagle position. Here I just had him on my back around the apartment, because he woke up when I was about to start mopping, with everything swept and furniture moved, and mopping with him on the front is just too hard. I haven't worn him on my back outside yet, because I don't like not being able to check on him as well, though a friend of mine here has a little mirror on a cord that she clips to the strap of her carrier for just that purpose. I may have to try that soon, as he's almost 20 pounds now, and soon it might get hard for me to carry him on my front.

A major event for us this year was the successful PhD defence of our good friend Valentina (hooray!), which also meant that it was time for her to move away from Jena (boooo!). She had a rocking going-away party which Béla and I visited for a while before heading home around midnight, while Jer stayed out until 4 or so. (It was for the best that I was the one who went home to bed, as I was pretty sick at this point, with a cold that turned into an evil lung infection, though I managed to beat it without visiting the doctor.) The weekend after, the night before she was flying back to Italy, we went out for supper with her and some friends.Béla was pretty good in the restaurant, though he got tired a bit before we did.
Saying goodbye to Valentina... (At this point I was just over the lung infection, at which point I developed a nasty blocked milk duct. Later this night, around 5:00 am, I woke up with a high fever and a very sore spot on my breast. Luckily, it was the weekend, so I was able to spend the next two days in bed doing nothing but resting, nursing, and pumping, so I was better by Monday. Not the best weekend ever, but luckily I've been healthy since then!)

Ah yes, and with the arrival of Béla's two teeth, we also began our nightly family toothbrushing time. First we give his teeth a decent pass over with the brush (which he doesn't seem to mind yet), and then we let him chew on the brush a bit while we brush our teeth. Here they are, both smiling...
...and here's Jeremi trying to imitate Béla, which I think is making Béla rathe suspicious.
I knit these socks for Jeremi for his birthday, and had a bit of yarn leftover, so Béla got his own pair for Valentine's Day. Aren't they cute?! And check out those two little teeth of his! (The teething wasn't so bad, just a week when he woke up more often in the night than usual, and his poop was frequent and bright green. We only figured out that it was from teething when it was basically past, and he had two teeth.)

And here are his little man socks as part of one of his super cute little man outfits, this one an Osh Kosh outfit that came from Chris and Karen, I think.
Ah yes, something else pretty cute that he did lately. When we have to do something in the bathroom for only a few minutes (like laundry, brushing hair and or teeth, not so long as a shower), and Béla doesn't feel like hanging out on his own (which is most of the time), he gets to come along and sit in his empty bathtub in the bath chair, where he can play with a couple of toys. If the washing machine is running he's content to stare at the spinning clothes for quite a while, but otherwise he needs some distraction. For a couple of weeks, the new magnetized picture of his cousin Owen did the trick. (Our fridge is tucked away behind a wooden cabinet, which means that any magnets we'd normally put on our fridge get stuck on our washing machine instead. A bit strange, but it works, and our toilet faces the washing machine, so we get to see them regularly.)
I'm sure he was just looking at the new high contrast object, but it was super cute, because it really looked like he was staring at his cousin, and reaching out to touch the picture.
Yes, Béla, I'm taking pictures of you!
And finally, Béla à l'envers! He really loves to be held upside down. If he's getting fussy in the evening, 15 seconds upside down buys at least a couple of minutes of contentedness afterward.

And there you have it! Now I just have to tackle the videos from the video camera, and we'll be basically up to date!

No comments: