Thursday, January 12, 2006

Crocheted flowers


Well about a month ago mom asked me to make a couple of white crocheted flowers, one for her toque and one for the one she was knitting for Baba. I sent her a website with dozens of crocheted flower patterns and she chose one. Personally, I didn't find them the most exciting flowers, and I think they only looked nice because they were made in really beautiful colours. I didn't think they'd look as good in white, but I was going to make the ones that she chose. But then I looked more carefully at the pattern and realized that each petal was made individually and then they were all sewn together. The crocheting itself was really easy and would have been done in minutes, but I really hate sewing stuff together, so I knew that they weren't going to get done anytime soon. But then I was looking through the knitting magazines that mom sent me for Christmas and found some patterns in a Patons insert. One of them was for large (~10 cm in diameter) crocheted flowers which were much more interesting as far as the crocheting went, but were worked as one piece, i.e. no sewing up at the end. I thought 10 cm was a bit big so I did them with a smaller hook using some white sock yarn I had left over from another project, and I think they look pretty good. The picture's a bit out of focus and the tails haven't been woven in yet (did I mention that I hate doing the finishing work?), but at least it gives some idea of how they look. I hope you like them! They'll be mailed off soon with Dad's sweater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julia and Jeremi - I have a 'bone' to pick with you (pun intended since your chickens have none). If you insist on posting your meals and menus, I insist on having recipes, OK?

AND I would like the pattern for the crocheted flowers, if possible. I need to make some for a sweater I am making that is 9 years overdue. OK - I confess I do procrastinate.

What is your street address for ordinary mail that comes with a stamp?

Love to you both.