Friday, April 18, 2008

A quick update

Sorry, it's been a while since we last posted. I've been sick for the past three weeks or so with a mystery ailment (that I initially thought was a simple urinary track infection) that hasn't responded well to two rounds of antibiotics, and which has kept me from attending the biggest European conference in my field (the EGU) this week in Vienna. My talk was scheduled to start in just over an hour, but unfortunately I had to cancel. I've never pulled out of a talk or anything like that before, and I was feeling really terribly about it, but my guilt has been overshadowed by how terribly I've been feeling all week. I'm heading to yet another doctor on Monday morning. Wish me luck!

Jeremi's also not been super-well, as he hurt his back last week helping some friends move, and had to miss rugby practice this week too. We were home sick together on Monday, which was sort of fun in a pathetic way. His back is doing much better now though.

This weekend we're heading to Cospeda to stay with our friends Calin and Susanne. This might seem weird as Cospeda is technically part of Jena, and it's just like going across town for a sleep-over, but they've promised to spoil us well, and they want to hang out with Jeremi before he has to leave.

Oh yes, Jeremi leaving. For those of you not in the loop, Jeremi's flying back to Canada May 4th, as his visa will expire the next day. He couldn't get an extension, and hasn't been able to find a job yet. Once we're married he'll be able to get a residence permit to stay with me and he can keep looking for work. It seems that part of his problem might stem from the difference in the education systems - Bachelor's degrees don't really exist here (they've just recently been introduced) and all engineering/computerish jobs require something called a Diplom, which is just a bit different. Some things are truly lost in translation. Still, we're keeping our fingers crossed (or pressing our thumbs, as they do in German) that he finds something in August.

And finally, our last bit of news. We decided that, single income be damned, we're going to have a proper honeymoon. (Not just a drive across eastern Canada between where our various friends and family live.) We're going to Cairo from August 2nd-9th, in part to attend the wedding of our friend Omar on August 7th. There's a company that flies from Germany to Cairo pretty inexpensively, and once we're there it seems quite affordable. We are going to stay at a super-posh hotel one night though, as that's where his wedding is being held. I'm looking forward to it already!

Alas, there's no picture with this post. For those of you who skipped all the paragraphs looking for the photo, I'm sorry. You don't really need a picture of me sitting on the couch with the cat "helping" me type. I promise that after this weekend we'll post some pictures of Jer's awesome progress on the quilt, my finely-tailored practice dress (made out of cotton, using the same pattern as the wedding dress), and our adventures in Cospeda.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, never it is good to be ill. I hope a fast recover from everything...

Anonymous said...

Hugs and tea from mom in Ontario. I thought it was far when you were sick in Nova Scotia. The Atlantic never seemed so big as it does now.
Counting the days till July.
Love, mom