Sunday, June 08, 2008

the first sewing update

After getting some feedback, not all of it in the comments, it seems that almost everyone wants to see the progress! My brother and sister-in-law gave their affirmatives via email, and the only one really saying I shouldn't blog about the progress was Jeremi, who thought that I should keep it secret, but not from him. That hardly seems fair now, does it? And so I begin the first in what is hopefully a long series of finished (or nearly finished) garments - the vest that Jeremi's brother will wear. It's only nearly finished because I didn't make it to the sewing shop early enough yesterday to pick up the buttons that I ordered (they close at noon on Saturdays and of course nothing is open here on Sunday). And so it has no buttons and no button holes yet. I had to special order the buttons as I needed 33 matching large buttons and 8 corresponding small ones, which none of the stores here keep in stock. Buttons here are sold in clear plastic cylinders with one sample button on the cap, and the cylinders are stacked up with only the caps showing. (Maybe they're sold like that somewhere in Canada, but I've never seen it.)

And so here's the vest. The first shot shows it on the floor. Note the cute little slash pockets - I'm getting really quick at those now.

And here it is draped over a chair for lack of a large human model. It's all nicely lined of course.

My goal is to post daily with either a finished item or substantial progress on another garment. I've got a couple more things already done, so it's okay if I don't finish something every single day. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jeremi said...

The vest looks great. Great job my dear

M said...

Hooray for updates! I can't wait to see everything.